How to deal with an adjuster after a Springfield Missouri car accident After a Springfield Missouri car accident and injury you can be sure that you will get a call from an insurance adjuster who will offer you a dollar amount for damages related to the crash. This offer will be a great deal for the insurance company and could be tempting to accept. However, it is vital to understand that this offer should be seen as the beginning of negotiations, not the final offer. What should you do when an insurance adjuster calls you with a settlement offer?
- Understand that you have plenty of time to act. 5 years in Missouri. Insurance adjusters are going to pressure you into accepting a deal as quickly as possible. They do this by injecting an artificial sense of urgency into the conversation, such as “I’m going to close my file then”. First, no they are not, insurance regulations prevent this. Second, so what? The Missouri Statute of Limitations is 5 years to file a lawsuit. You have lots of time to make your decision and that silence may be the best answer to an initial offer. When in doubt say, “Let me think about it.”
- You need to know where you are physically and financially before agreeing to a settlement. It can be tempting to accept an offer, especially if you need the money and they are suggesting writing a check for thousands of dollars. This is by design. However, you must remember that this settlement will be the only money you will get to pay for all of your accident and injury expenses, past present and future.
- Don’t get intimidated or “good ol’ boyed”. Insurance adjusters are trained to cultivate fear and doubt. Maybe about the quality of your case by attributing some blame to you or discouraging hiring your own attorney. They may take a different tact that they are your friend and have your best interests at heart. Be confident when you talk to them and know that the more knowledge you have, the more confident you can be.
- Know that adjusters play games to get lower settlements. Insurance adjusters have dozens of tricks up their sleeves—some legal, some borderline legal, and some who knows. If you are familiar with their common tactics you will be better equipped to deal with them successfully.
You may or may not need the assistance of a Springfield Missouri personal injury attorney as you settle your Missouri car accident claim. To find out more about your case, or to learn more about whether your settlement amount is fair simply call (417) 883-5886 or Toll FREE 1 800 345-0535 for your free case evaluation today. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Missouri car accident get my Free book before you speak with another lawyer or anyone from the other drivers insurance company.
Here’s just a taste of what you’ll discover when you open the pages of this book:
- How to properly handle inquiries from the insurance company… it’s sad, but being a “nice guy” and answering “a few simple questions” can cost you dearly!
- Keys to determining just how much your case is worth – the many different factors that can literally mean thousands, if not tens, even hundreds, of thousands of dollars.
- 8 ways to make sure any lawyer you choose to represent you can make the most effective arguments on your behalf.
- DANGERS of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest – the key mistakes you do NOT want to make on Social Media immediately after your accident and while your case is being settled.
- What to do if the insurance company offers to pay your medical bills… do NOT just jump at the chance, it could well be a big WARNING sign going off!
- 6 common mistakes you do NOT want to make that could negatively affect your case in a big way.
If you or a family member was injured by the negligence of another driver in Missouri or Arkansas, The Krebs Law Firm LLC offers a free case evaluation if you have questions about your car, bus, truck or bike accident. Many people may be worried that they do not have the money to pay for a personal injury attorney when they were injured by a distracted driver but we only handle accident cases on a contingent fee basis. In other words, there is no fee unless we are successful in getting you the benefits that you deserve. If you would like to speak to Jason Krebs and his staff simply call (417) 883-5886 or Toll FREE 1 800 345-0535 for your free case evaluation today.