Over the past few months, I’ve met with several potential clients who tell me about their serious Missouri automobile accident and their serious injuries. They go on to tell me about the defendant’s lack of insurance to cover their claim. I then ask them “what’s your coverage?” Their response is always “I have full coverage.” Unfortunately, in most instances, they didn’t have enough coverage to compensate them for their permanent injuries and cover their medical bills, lost wages. That is why its important to buy Missouri Uninsured and Under-Insured Coverage.
Uninsured (UM) and Under-Insured Motorist (UIM) Coverage
When you buy automobile insurance, there are usually many components to your policy. The liability component is coverage is what insures you in the event that you hurt someone else in an accident.
Another type of (and often times just as important) coverage is UM and UIM. UM and UIM coverage is the component of the policy that you can look to if you are seriously injured and the person that caused your injuries is either under insured or not insured at all.
Missouri only requires drivers to maintain $25,000.00 in coverage. In an effort to save money, many Missouri drivers will get this amount because it’s cheaper. Unfortunately, many of the insurance companies agents don’t let their clients know how important it is to have more coverage than the bear minimum.
For minor accidents, sure $25,000.00 can be plenty of insurance to cover a claim. But if you are involved in an accident where you are admitted to the hospital over night, $25,000.00 is almost certainly not nearly enough. Just an ambulance ride and handful of diagnostic scans such as CT scans or X-Rays can take the bulk of the $25,000.00 just to see what’s wrong, not treat you. This will leave nothing for other damages such as lost wages and your permanent injury
While you can’t control how much insurance a person that may hit you has, you certainly have a choice to maximize your UM & UIM coverage. So even if a person hits you only has $25,000.00 in coverage, if you have $500,000.00 or $1,000,000.00 in coverage, you now have a large pool of money to potentially compensate you for your injuries and the higher limit policy isn’t all that much more monthly than a $25,000.00 policy. Bear in mind it is unlikely that your insurance company will willingly hand over this money without a Personal injury lawyer, but at least there is money available.
Buy UM and UIM coverage – it’s worth it!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Missouri car accident get my Free book before you speak with anyone from the other drivers insurance company.
Here’s just a taste of what you’ll discover when you open the pages of this book:
- How to properly handle inquiries from the insurance company… it’s sad, but being a “nice guy” and answering “a few simple questions” can cost you dearly!
- Keys to determining just how much your case is worth – the many different factors that can literally mean thousands, if not tens, even hundreds, of thousands of dollars.
- 8 ways to make sure any lawyer you choose to represent you can make the most effective arguments on your behalf.
- DANGERS of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest – the key mistakes you do NOT want to make on Social Media immediately after your accident and while your case is being settled.
- What to do if the insurance company offers to pay your medical bills… do NOT just jump at the chance, it could well be a big WARNING sign going off!
- 6 common mistakes you do NOT want to make that could negatively affect your case in a big way.
If you or a family member was injured by the negligence of another driver in Missouri or Arkansas, The Krebs Law Firm LLC offers a free case evaluation if you have questions about your car, bus, truck or bike accident. Many people may be worried that they do not have the money to pay for a personal injury attorney when they were injured by a distracted driver but we only handle accident cases on a contingent fee basis. In other words, there is no fee unless we are successful in getting you the benefits that you deserve. If you would like to speak to Jason Krebs and his staff simply call (417) 883-5886 or Toll FREE (800) 345-0535 for your free case evaluation today.