Will an old injury hurt my Missouri car accident case? Springfield Personal Injury Attorney
Having an old or what we call a “pre-existing injury” can certainly complicate a Missouri personal injury claim after a car accident. You can bet that the insurance company will try to make the pre-existing injury affect your case, in a negative way to be sure. If you are concerned that your pre-existing injury will affect your car accident case, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible.
The first thing you have to prove is the fault of the other driver. Simply being in a car accident (or falling in a store for that matter) does not mean the other driver is a fault. Secondly you must prove your injuries are the result of the car accident and are not related to the old or pre-existing injury. If the injury is a 20 year old shoulder injury that has not required treatment or medical attention in years, it probably will not be a problem. However, if it is a more recent injury, you need to work with an attorney who will help you establish that your injuries from the car accident are not connected to your old injuries.
If you do have a pre-existing injury, it is vitally important to be honest with your Missouri personal injury attorney. Your pre-existing injuries are not something that you should hold back from your lawyer. A good personal injury attorney will work with you and help you make your case to the insurance company. If you try to hide your pre-existing injury, you can be assured that the insurance company can and will find out. The old injuries will come to light, and you want your attorney to be prepared.
Unfortunately, if you attempt to pursue a claim without the assistance of an experienced attorney, you cannot go back and undo what you have already done. Learn more about these missteps (and how to avoid them) in my free book before you speak with another lawyer or anyone from the other drivers insurance company.
Here’s a sample of what you’ll learn when you open the pages of this book:
- How to properly handle inquiries from the insurance company… it’s sad, but being a “nice guy” and answering “a few simple questions” can cost you dearly!
- Keys to determining just how much your case is worth – the many different factors that can literally mean thousands, if not tens, even hundreds, of thousands of dollars.
- 8 ways to make sure any lawyer you choose to represent you can make the most effective arguments on your behalf.
- DANGERS of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest – the key mistakes you do NOT want to make on Social Media immediately after your accident and while your case is being settled.
- What to do if the insurance company offers to pay your medical bills… do NOT just jump at the chance, it could well be a big WARNING sign going off!
- 6 common mistakes you do NOT want to make that could negatively affect your case in a big way.
Clearly, situations where a victim would benefit from legal representation for a car accident claim far outnumber situations in which having an attorney is unnecessary. Fortunately, we are here to provide you with the assistance you need after a crash. When you are ready to take the next steps, contact me at 417 883-5886 or Toll Free a 1800 345-0535 for a free, no-obligation consultation.
That’s why I created a service I’m calling My 5 Point “Accept No Limits” Consultation – it has a real retail value of $299, but because I want to help as many people as I can get the answers they need during times of extreme hardship and difficulty, I’m making a limited number of these available at absolutely no charge. All you need to do is call my office at (417) 883-5886 or Toll Free 1(800) 345-0535 reserve your spot. We are located at 2838 S. Ingram Mill Road Springfield Missouri but handle cases all over Missouri and Arkansas.
Here are the different elements of what you’ll experience during this in-depth consultation:
- A Real, Live Face-to-Face Meeting. We’ll meet face-to-face to discuss the specific details of your accident and what happened. You won’t be filling out a web-based data entry form, sending an email, sitting on hold waiting for a real human to answer – you and I will sit down in a room and talk things through. We’ll get to know each other the old-fashioned way – where we can share and learn from each other.
- A Comprehensive Situational Assessment. I’ll let you tell your story in your own words – you talk, I listen. As appropriate, I’ll ask questions to help you recall ALL the details – to make sure we both end up with an identical picture of exactly what happened that put you in this situation.
- A Preliminary Documentation Review. I’ll conduct a preliminary review of any supporting documentation you have that’s relevant to the accident and situation – this includes photographs, accident reports, police investigation notes, citations, and any witness statements. In addition, I’ll review information about your accident and injury, which could include repair bills, doctor’s notes, emergency room notes, photographs, X-Ray results and MRI results. In addition, I’ll check to see how your automobile insurance and health insurance factors into your current and potential future situation.
- An Honest and Open Q&A Session. I’ll answer any questions that you may have – such as how medical treatments will get paid for, how long the overall process will take, potential awards from the Insurance company, costs of litigation, and more. I’ll be open, honest, and do everything I can to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
- Your Customized “Next Steps to Fairness” Proposal. Finally, after going over your situation, I’ll lay out in clear, easy-to-understand language, what I see as the strengths and weaknesses of your case. In addition, you’ll walk away with specific suggestions on what I see as your best course of action moving forward.
GUARANTEE: While I can’t guarantee ultimate results, I will guarantee our conversation will provide clear, actionable information that you can use to move forward with confidence knowing you’ve received timely and prudent advice.